Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's the middle of the afternoon now, and it's cloudy, so here we go again...

Since I started this blog last night the whole bipolar thing has been really on my mind (I generally try to suppress it as much as possible).

I got to thinking about how I mentioned that there weren't "bipolar pride parades" in the first post. I wondered if anyone had ever tossed around this idea, and I googled "bipolar pride", just for shits and giggles.

I came across a transcript on CNN.com of Connie Chung interviewing Carrie Fisher- the actress who played Princess Laia (sp?) in the Star Wars Movies and has bipolar disorder. I found myself laughing at the attitude that she has about her situation. As Connie interviews her, she addresses the problem while trying to have a sense of humor about it, and Connie seems like a deadpan dimwit. If I could smack Connie through the screen, I think I would have. Anyway, Carrie was funny, so here's a little tidbit of the interview. Her approach may offend some people, but to me, humor is always the best way to make the best of any situation.

*i have added my own commentary in bold- as if i am sitting in on the interview. **

CHUNG: And Carrie Fisher's latest appearance is right here, right now. Thanks for being here with us.
FISHER: Thank you for having me.
CHUNG: Over the years, you have been so straightforward, nothing but the truth, honesty, your life is all out there for us to know about.
FISHER: Well, there were some lying years.
CHUNG: Oh, yes? OK.
FISHER: Yes. But I've recovered now.
CHUNG: All right. So you have said, and I think this is, obviously, a fascinating part for you to talk about, because most people keep it to themselves. You have said you are mentally ill.
FISHER: I have?
CHUNG: Yes.
FISHER: That must be so difficult for me sometimes. I know... (snickers from me)
CHUNG: Is it curable?
FISHER: ... my -- no, it's not curable. They're coming up with an antibiotic for it soon, but -- no, my mother says...
CHUNG: That is a joke. (me: no shit.)
FISHER: Yes, it is a joke. My -- but it's manageable with medication, and so my mother says, Dear, you're not mentally ill, you're manic depressive. So, mentally ill...
CHUNG: Debbie, Debbie, Debbie. (i now smack Connie. she is unconscious for a few seconds, then climbs back up onto her chair.)
FISHER: It does sound -- well, it does sound so dramatic, but it can be that way, so...
CONNIE: Is -- Debbie Reynolds, of course. Is manic depressive bipolar?
FISHER: It is.
CHUNG: What is this thing -- it's hypomania? Hypomania? (me: gee Connie, do you always go into an interview knowing so little about what you plan to address?)
FISHER: Well, that is a lesser version of it.
CHUNG: And that is what you have?
FISHER: No, no. No, no. I have the -- I have the full shot, I'm proud to say. You know, when I get something, I want to get the whole thing, and I'm volleying for a bipolar pride day, and bipolar bars, which obviously would be open 24 hours. (i laugh)
CHUNG: Of course. Have you ever been to a bipolar restroom?
FISHER: You liar!
CHUNG: No? OK. I haven't.
FISHER: No, but I -- the parades. Don't you think they would be good...
CHUNG: Yes, yes.
FISHER: ...with sort of the depressive floats, with people on mattresses... (i laugh again)
CHUNG: Yes. You are...
FISHER: ... staring off into nothing, frantic, manic.
CHUNG: You are being sick. (i kick connie in the nose. she resumes the interview, her voice now much more nasal.)
FISHER: Well, we just established that I was sick.
CHUNG: Oh, did I say that? OK. We'll continue along these lines.
FISHER: Well, I joke about it.
CHUNG: Yes, I know you do.
FISHER: It is a -- if I didn't, then it would simply be something that was true.
CHUNG: But it is. (i raise my hand as a warning to connie)
FISHER: It is. Absolutely.
CHUNG: OK. What I want to know, though, is you take medication?
FISHER: Yes, I do.
CHUNG: I had read six different types?
FISHER: Oh, God, I hope not. But, yes, it's probably that much.
CHUNG: All right. So, are you ever tempted to not take the medication?
FISHER: Oh, absolutely. Well, yes, because -- and it's also -- any, I think, illness of the mind, your mind will always tell you, you don't have it. So I will still say this is not possible.
CHUNG: Right.
FISHER: I'm, you know, as sane as -- well, not you, but, you know, some of your friends. So I still will think I don't have it. But also, because the manic side of it is so great, it's fantastic. So I would want that back again. It just -- there is a negative fallout. Also, I -- you know -- so, yes, I would want it back but I would not want to put my daughter through that because it's very chaotic.

*I excuse myself, apologizing to connie and giving her a list of suggested reading, so that she doesn't sound like such an idiot in the future. carrie gets a high five.*

...and it goes on... but I thought that was a good part. Sorry if my presence was annoying- I couldn't help myself. And no, I'm not violent, I like to joke about smacking, punching, and kicking people. It comes from having an older brother, 19 years of playing soccer, being friends with lots of frat guys in college, and an obsession with stupid comedy. It has absolutely nothing to do with being bipolar.

It was interesting to read that interview, and further proof that most people not personally exposed to B.D. are ignorant about it. If Connie Chung doesn't know what she's talking about, how can we expect Joe Schmo from the street to be understanding? Of course, this isn't the first time that I've found Connie Chung annoying. But I digress.

Well, I have a coed indoor soccer game in a few hours, and I haven't eaten since noon, so I should probably get on that so I don't feel sick when I start running around. I'm dropping off an application to an art store on the way to the game- not ideal, but at least I'd have a job. Since I know almost everything there is to know about art supplies and have previously worked in an art store, maybe I'll get lucky and get a department head position or something. Who knows. I'll keep ya posted.

I'm throwing a party this weekend, which I'm extremely excited about. According to the invite I sent out, there will be somewhere between 30 and...70 people there. Ha ha how the hell can I plan for food and drinks if I have 40 people who are only "maybe" showing up? I'm gonna let them know that if they don't change to a definite, it'll have to be BYOB and BYOF(food). My off again-yet-still extremely present- ex boyfriend will be coming, along with a few guys i'm interested in. Translation? I'm an idiot asking for drama. Lets hope thats not the case.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

My sense of humor is what keeps me going! I think it is the only way I've made it as far as I have.

Good luck with the party!

Sunny D. Knoll said...

thanks for the comments! i'm a big nerd, i got so excited when i got that first one (and this one too of course)...

yeah, i'm excited about the party- its a graduation thing. i'll have to just go with the flow. my ex is still very much madly in love with me (i love him too, but it's confusing right now) and i fear that he'll act weird when i'm running around in a bathing suit in front of other guys (its a river party). i'm crossing my fingers that he'll be normal and not ruin this for me.

i noticed that you work in graphic design/ advertising! thats awesome, i'm hoping to get into that field at some point- i majored in communication arts.

Butterfly said...

You are right on.

Connie Chung is a respected journalist, and she failed to do her homework before that interview. If a journalist with the ear of the masses is a clueless idiot, how can we expect employers, cashiers and drivers to get it?